- Set up a study space, including the technology required.
- Be prepared for technical issues that may come up.
- Review the syllabus with your student.
- Define expectations.
- Agree on incentives and consequences.
- Reinforce that online courses are as important as traditional, face-to-face courses.
- See that your student established a routing for working on his/her virtual course daily.
- Help your student maintain a regular study schedule.
- Monitor your student's progress weekly using your access to the course LMS.
Parent (EdOptions Academy)
Quick Start Guide for
K - 5 Students and Learning Guides
Grades K4 - 5
Google Classroom &
- Log In Information
- Attendance Requirements
- Errors in the Edmentum Schedule
- Zoom Meetings
- Band Options
- AP Courses
- Proctoring an Exam
- How many credits will my student earn?
- Do I need to use my own personal email or device?
- Will my Edmentum grades be accessible in IC?
- My child has an IEP. How does that work?
- How to I get emails from my Edmentum Teachers?
- Will my child be eligible for Honor Roll and end of year medals?
- At what point can we decide to switch from the OC Virtual program to in-person learning?
- In the case of a closure due to COVID-19, will all students be enrolled in the OC Virtual program?
- How does a choice of OC Virtual effect Empower students? Will they be able to return to Empower for the 2021-22 year if it is safe to do so?
- Can you choose OC Virtual for just the semester and then near the end of the semester decide if you want to continue that way for the remainder of the year or not?
- Will my student have the opportunity to receive the lesson exactly as if she was in the classroom?
- How will OC Virtual students be able to participate in band at the middle school and high school level?
- How much of OC Virtual work will be live video conferencing?
- Does an OC Virtual student need support at home to be successful?
- Will virtual teaching be interactive? What does teacher involvement look like? Or will it include premade videos?
- Will there be a structured curriculum? What curriculum will be used to drive instruction?
- For elementary students in grades 4K-5, what does school work look like in the virtual format? Will there be a lot of screen time necessary? Or will hard copies be sent to students?
- What class choices will students have in elementary? Middle school? High School?
- What platform will the virtual academy use? Is it the same as the Virtual learning that was provided in spring of 2019-20? Will there be a consistent platform used for virtual learning?
- What does a daily schedule look like? How much time will a student spend on classwork each day at different levels?
- If my student is behind or ahead of their grade level, how will this correlate to their courses in Edmentum? Will students be able to work ahead if they wish, since it is self paced?
- For Elementary School, is the synchronous 2 hours of learning in one block or broken up across the day?
- Our 9th grader has been in advanced math classes and is scheduled to be Algebra 2/Trig this school year. Will this be what she is taking through this 100% virtual platform?
- If we choose online with Edmentum for the 2020-21 school year, would my student be able to take CAPP courses for college credit? Are AP level courses offered online with Edmentum?
- How does this 100% virtual option through an outside source allow for students to continue with their foreign language instruction?
- What will the report card look like?
- What social and emotional supports are available to my student?
- Can my child participate in afterschool bands/clubs/sports?
- Is parent/guardian support needed?
- If our regular school has a day off will the OC Virtual School also have a break?
- Why does online learning require, “A high degree of parental involvement”?
- Why is the district planning to offer 100% virtual learning for 4K-5th grade with Oak Creek teachers but kids in 6-12th grades can’t be offered the same opportunity?
- Are there resources the school administration can share about the Edmentum platform? Including data on how students performed utilizing this program?
- Will virtual students be included in the yearbook?